Thursday, August 19, 2010

Words to tears

Spaghetti%20on%20Wall.jpg

It's no secret that I'm an emotional guy. However, I don't cry very often. Tonight, I cried. Words brought me to tears.

For the third year in a row, I participated in Google's BOLD (Building Opportunities through Leadership & Development) Mentorship Program. The first two years I tag-teamed with Nai in mentoring college interns. This year, I was solo. More on this year's experience in another entry.

Last year, Nai and I mentored Laura. She's from Florida and goes to the University of Florida. She's upbeat, friendly, adventurous and LOVES to salsa dance. Nai and I met with Laura weekly over lunch or some other casual way to discuss her projects, interests, schooling and social life. However, the last conversation we had when we parted was one chalk full of advice on from both Nai and I.

This year, Laura came back to intern at Google, but in a different department and with different mentors. After the BOLD finale dinner tonight, she came to find me and pulled me aside. What happened next made me so emotional, I didn't even know how to react.

She said:
"Will, I just wanted to let you know that words you said to me last year stuck with me. I know we didn't get to see each other much this summer. I also don't know if you even remember saying this, but when we were outside over there <points to the outdoor seating area at Crittenden>, you gave me an image that hasn't left my mind. Do you remember that Spaghetti analogy? You told me try a wide variety of things until you learn what sticks. Just like when you throw Spaghetti against the wall to see if it's properly cooked, you'll eventually learn what sticks. I've really taken that to heart and have been living that idea daily."

I do remember saying those words. To be honest, Inever thought she would remember those words. One doesn't become a mentor to get praise or affirmation of taking advice. One becomes a mentor to pass on knowledge that they've learned from others or themselves. It's a cyclical process that eventually helps everyone.

I cried after she told me that my words stuck true to her. I let her know it meant a lot to me. Mainly because very rarely do people take the time to let you know when you've impacted their life. I let Laura know that I plan on visiting her in Florida sometime soon. (Hello, AYCJ!) We swapped contact information again, too.

I also don't think that mentees realize how much they help give their mentors perspective. They help us reflect upon the past and look into the future. For that, I'm grateful.

IMG_0964.JPG
Will & Laura, BOLD Intern Cruise 2010

Posted via email from sunset to SUNRISE

No comments: