Wednesday, August 04, 2010

The LA Retreat: It's All About Me

Two weeks ago I had the idea that a trip to Los Angeles was in order. But not what I usually go for. I usually go for the gay clubbing at night, a special event or maybe catch up with a friend or two if I can squeeze it in within my usually 48 hours of allotted time. Of course I get to see the fam, but it isn't of that great of length.


This time around I had a purpose. A greater purpose. To catch up with friends and family that I really miss and hardly get to see. I also came down for "me time." This is all because this week is designed all about me. Not about you, but all about me. It's time to get a little bit selfish. I needed a bit of removal from the norm. I also needed a bit of time to think and get perspective. The long drive down and up would also be good for that. :) Truth be told, I can't remember the last time I took some time for myself. Most of my energy has been devoted to others. Now I can see why Mothers get so lost and forget who they really are.

The good thing about my job (recruiting) is that I can do it from anywhere as long as I don't have candidates to greet. And even still, I can get help with that from my recruiting coordinator. I can be in the office or work remotely and everything gets done. It's kind of amazing. I haven't really taken advantage of that until now. So I'm worked from LA Monday-Friday of this week and spent time with myself and loved ones in the evening. My boss was on board and supportive.

It's not like LA is known to be a retreat spot for anyone. The city resonates stress for the average person. But for me, it's home... no matter how much I struggle with that. I somehow find peace when sitting in traffic, driving all around the city, etc. LA is also a place where I find it easy to get things done. I know the San Fernando Valley (SFV or simply just The Valley) like the back of my hand and can get errands accomplished super easily.

And so now I'll recount the events that took place from Monday 26th to Sunday July 31st, or the nuggets I remembered, if you will, all with the purpose of making myself happy. Those will be in future posts.

No comments: