Friday, August 13, 2010

A Mom's Influence on Health

I took a lunch off-site today and went to Panera Bread in Millbrae.

When I sat down at my table, I saw a mom (who happens to be Asian) with her two kids -- one boy and one girl. I'd guess they were probably in the 6-10 year old age range.

The kids were both eating soup from large Sourdough Bread bowls. The mom sat down and said -- "White bread isn't as good for you because it's not natural and removes grains." The little boy said "Why does that matter?" The mom's response was along the lines of "Because fiber and grains are good for you. They also have less calories."

I thought to myself --- My mom talked this way to me when I was younger too. But her explanation didn't resonate with me. The mom's answer from above was designed for adults by adults. Why would a kid care about whole grains? The boy was absolutely right.

Nutritional information isn't easy for kids to understand. The mom's information from above is also somewhat misleading in that the caloric difference isn't really an issue as is so much 1. The Fiber Content (which makes you full an helps your regulate your digestive system) and 2. It's natural --- not processed. Processed food is easier to consume (think baby food vs. eating an apple) and therefore easy to consume a greater number of calories in a shorter period of time.

Her conversation then went in a math direction where she asked her kids what the difference in time would be to get to their Grandma's house via walking vs. driving if it were 13 miles and the car went 60 MPH. I admire the mom for teaching her kids good values and making them think. I just think there is a much better way (of which I haven't quite figured out yet) to get kids to absorb nutritional information.

My youth was robbed due to processed foods, fast food and poor eating habits. I'll be damned if I let another generation go through that.

Posted via email from sunset to SUNRISE

No comments: