Monday, August 09, 2010

Late night convos

Yesterday evening, after a long drive from Los Angeles, I had my college friend Vince let me know he was in Nor Cal on a whim. Turns out he was staying with family in Fremont but was up here learning more about an organization that devotes getting new technology resources for undeserved schools in the Philippines. He wants to volunteer with an organization that helps his home country and has an educational element to it.

Turns out that the timing was perfect as I was in the South Bay and he was on his way to drop off a friend in Millbrae. We met in Millbrae and I drove us to YouTube in San Bruno for a late night chat/coffee sesh. We'd last seen each other a few months ago during his last few weeks living in Hawaii. He spent 4 years going to school and teaching there. Now he's back in Southern California while studying for graduate school exams.

We had a lot to catch up on --- personally, professionally, etc. I love the simple act of a late night conversations. The tiredness ads an element of delirium and realism. People tend to be more honest. Usually settings are more quiet and intimate.

I'm proud of him for the goals he's set out for himself as well as a making a few personal strides in being comfortable with himself.

He was one of the first people I ever came out to and I will never forget that moment in West Hollywood (@ the Target off La Brea & Santa Monica Blvd.). It's an awesome story.

It's funny how we've known each other for most of our adult lives and it seems like yesterday we were taking business classes together at UCR. Crazy how time flies.

Posted via email from sunset to SUNRISE

No comments: