Sunday, June 10, 2007

Hunters Nighclub / Video Bar - San Jose, CA

Friday night was the 'pre-party' for San Jose pride at the new gay bar in San Jose, Hunters. The only other gay club that really competes is Splash.

To tell you the truth, I don't go out socially in San Jose that much. If I did, it would probably be at the more posh (i.e. straight) Lounges and Clubs around the city. I don't mind shopping or having a nice meal in San Jose because it's a pretty nice city. However, I usually keep it low key in Mountain View, Sunnyvale or Palo Alto. If i'm really clubbing, It's in SF.

Who did I go with? Well, I met up with someone I knew in High School, Kyle. He doesn't look the same at all. He brought some of his friends along, like Rick, Mike, David, etc. Someone asked if he knew I was gay in High School. He was like 'Um... Ya! Hello!' We then started to say who we knew was gay at Alemany. Lol. Fun Times.

It was nice to hang out with a new set of people. It's refreshing to have people in the South Bay to hang out with. Kyle and I will probably grab dinner and watch a movie one of these days to catch up. I also (albeit at the last minute) went up to a guy I thought was cute. We gave 'the look' to each other quite often but never went up to each other. While outside, I asked him his name and he wanted my number. He's a nice guy and we chatted for a few minutes tonight on the phone.

About Hunters:
  • Parking is okay in the area. You can park at the garage at 2nd and San Carlos with no problems.
  • The club has only been open for two weeks but has got some local press.
  • The line situation is okay before 10:30pm. However, I hear that around 11 it got really whack. 30-45 minute waits were typical, even, when it wasn't all that packed in side.
  • The sound system isn't all the good. When I walked in, I was pretty shocked. I think eventually they were able to get the sound levels right.
  • The LCD TV's are a nice touch, but often times the 'VJ' playing the Videos had some technical issues.
  • There are two patio areas. A small one in front and a large one in back. I wonder if there will ever be a 'front patio scene' a la 'Rage' or 'Fiesta Cantina' in Los Angeles. Places in the Bay don't tend to have a front patio due to space issues and rent prices. I'm also sure Zoning is also involved.
  • The main bar area is nice, although slightly small. There is also a nice front section with seats to just chill.
  • The bar hasn't quite found a personality yet. I'm sure that will come over time. I wonder if they'll have theme nights in the future. (A Dragon-type night would be FANTASTIC!)
  • There is small open area for dancing, although no-one really started to dance until midnight.
  • They had trashy Go Go boys. Although, none were my type.
  • The crowd is really all over the map. I would say the crowd reminds me of Badlands in SF, but with less white guys.
  • Drinks are slightly more expensive than the gay bars in SF, but they use better alcohol.
  • I'll be back for sure.
Pictures:

Hunters Nightclub - San Jose, CA

No comments: