Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sometimes I wish I had a longer commute...

... so I could Listen to NPR more.

I remember this one time when I went to work in Mountain View and sat in the parking lot for 10 minutes just so I could finish listening to an NPR story. The funny part, I wasn't the only one.

I parked my car, finished the story on NPR (which was on California banning trans fats) and then got out of my car to walk into work. Next to me was Nai, getting out of his car nearly the same exact moment. I said, "I was just listening to this amazing NPR story." He was like, "Trans Fats?" I nodded.

It spurred a good conversation after.

This morning, I felt the same way about a story on the topic of "The Lost Art of Reading" during this morning's Forum on KQED with Michael Krasny.

The author, David Ulin, talked a lot about how technology is hindering us from really remembering the special moments. Is an 8 year old going to remember tweeting or that one time he went to the baseball game with his father? It wasn't so much the content of the day as much as the feelings and memories that are created. Technology seems to be slowing us down there. I can relate. Trust me, I can relate. He also just talked about how people feel like they're missing out on something when they aren't engaged with technology. He also discussed how people are now having a hard time even reading a book. The internet has caused us to react immediately rather than ponder, reflect and be solitary. It's almost as if we don't have enough time to formulate an opinion. Or at least, a well thought out one. He also goes on to talk about empathy and how emotion is getting lost when people aren't reading literature. It encourages us to put us in another person's experience. You have to give up your own rhythm and get lost in a book.

I wish I had someone at work who is just of a big NPR nerd as me or Nai. The book related to the story, "The Lost Art of Reading: Why Books Matter in a Distracted Time."

 

Posted via email from sunset to SUNRISE

No comments: