Sunday, October 17, 2010

Back to cookin'!

Tonight I cooked for the first time in a long while. I cooked something Mexican-ish, mainly because it's what I'm most comfy with. My Mexican heritage always tends to come out with food. :)

I modified a recipe that I grew up with and made it more for my lifestyle and change in taste buds.

So, I made Turkey Tacos, sort of an old standby of mine. They never have to be the same, but I decided to use stuff I had around.

  • Ground Turkey Breast + Salt + Pepper + Seasonings
  • Avocado Salsa (from El Pollo Loco, but you can make your own)
  • Extra Sharp Cheddar
  • La Victoria Medium Taco Sauce
  • Iceberg lettuce
  • Corn Tortillas

The version I grew up with used beef (which is mighty damn tasty) and had more stuff like avocado, tomatoes, sour cream, etc. I decided to just use some natural sharp cheddar because I like the flavor and the dish does need some fat. Also, the risk of making this dish with white meat turkey vs. ground beef is that white meat turkey tends to dry out (hello, no fat!).

The other flavors such as La Victoria Medium Taco sauce is just something my palate grew up with and it reminds me of my youth. I'm sure there is better, but to be honest, the ingredients are minimal and it doesn't have much in the preservative department.

Also in terms of using Iceberg lettuce, I think the flavor goes well, similar to how it would with a burger. I could fancy shit like micro greens or whatever. But I'm not that bougie, well at least with home cooking. ;)

Posted via email from sunset to SUNRISE

No comments: