Thursday, October 07, 2010

A Passion To Discover Mexico City

After traveling for what amounts to about a the past month, my body and mind is quote tired. I'm not sure I want to see another airport for quite some time. But for some reason, I crave another international trip.

Before this whirlwind of a domestic trip, I was pretty much set that my next international travel destination would be in Asia. I for some reason craved a trip to Japan (blame Bill Murray and "Lost in Translation"). I just wanted to observe everything for myself.

I think several events as of late have drove me away from that idea and toward traveling to Asia and instead travel to my neighbor to the south, Mexico. I'm part Mexican and feel really compelled to learn more about where my family comes from. My mom's side of the family is from Mexico City and I'd love to see where my roots lie.

I really can't believe I'm 27 and haven't traveled Mexico. I've been to Canada and Europe, and yet Mexico is just right there. I crave the tastes of the culture. Hearing the language after studying it most of my life. Taking part in a Fiesta. Discovering local fashion.

I suppose it's proximity is what made it not very exciting to travel to. It wasn't very far and it would be somewhat familiar. I think that's what also makes it so very exciting now that I'm older.

After meeting Rick Bayless, he inspired me to discover Mexico for myself. When I was in Chicago, I made it a point to try some of food at the quick serve version of his resto, Frontera Fresco. The flavors were phenomenal, presentation was simple and the ingredients were fresh. I later discovered there are 3 Frontera Fresco's, one being at the Macy's in Union Square. I'll be visiting more often.

Mexico is also becoming a trendy travel destination as its art scene is being slowly discovered. Conde Nast Traveler has a new article on Mexico called, "Mexico's Moment" which goes into several parts of Mexico. Gridskipper outlines a guide to Artsy Mexico City.

I can't wait...

Posted via email from sunset to SUNRISE

No comments: