Saturday, October 16, 2010

Give Yourself A Chance

I think Fort Worth City Councilman said this best, "Give yourself a chance to see just how much better life will get. And it will get better." If you haven't been on of the 1+ million people who've seen it, check it out. It's worth watching.

The recent press coverage of LGBT teen suicides in schools has given birth to the "It Gets Better" project. Keep in mind that this topic of internet bullying has been around forever. I can't help but be curious as to why NOW it's suddenly covered by the press. I guess that's my realistic side talking.

I can honestly say that growing up being bullied for being fat (and sometimes) or being gay (well, more like not masculine) has made me a stronger person. That isn't to say I haven't had many weak moments (of which there were many). When I look back at all the hard, difficult and tear shed moments, they seem menial in comparison to how much better my life has gotten. I've got amazing friend and family. All of which have stuck by me.

Not one person, not a single person that I can recall has dropped me as a friend for being gay. (Note: People have dropped me as a friend for being an asshole. So, don't be an asshole, okay?) Did I think they would drop me as a friend for being gay? You bet. In fact, most of the time, people were curious as to the topic. Curiosity has only grown from the straight community I know since I came out in 2005/2006. The people who I thought would be the most homophobic turned out to be some of my strongest supporters. I think a lot of LGBT youth like to make assumptions without actually asking directly what someone's opinion may be.

When I was younger I associated actions or comments with whether someone was homophobic or not. Then from there I would assess my comfort level of hanging out with them. I eventually learned that assuming got me nowhere. Not only that, no one likes to directly ask whether or not someone is gay. That is tremendous amount of pressure. It's your responsibility as a LGBT person to take the plunge and educate your friends/family on your experience. No one is going to pull your teeth to get you to talk.

Rejection is a fear that is common amongst most people. Rejection in and of itself isn't a bad thing. In fact, it's the one thing that usually gets people to get their shit together. Rejection is a chance to be free. A chance for you to focus. There are so many positives that come out of rejection. I often find that people forget that side of rejection (including myself).

So, with that said, I gave myself a chance because I knew I was worth it. I just with everyone on this planet would realize that. :)

Posted via email from sunset to SUNRISE

No comments: