Thursday, August 07, 2008

The power of positivity during a quarterlife crisis

Over the past week, I've realized how negative I've become in 2008. You could say I've become a Negative Nancy. Except without the vagina...

No more.

I've been really attracted to positive upbeat people as of late. I used to be one, but a lot of external factors caused a downturn in my mood. I've tried to pinpoint it. Whether it be the economy, my job, my apartment, love life, friends, the future... all of it became really uncertain.

Traveling to Vancouver, Canada really helped me put things into perspective. It wasn't the mere act of traveling, but also who I met. I've also have absorbed a good chunk of information from the book 20 Something Manifesto: Quarterlifers Speak Out About Who They Are, What they Want and How to Get it.

Basically, I'm in quarterlife crisis mode. You know what? It's normal. Everyone goes through it, just not all at the same age.

At this point, the best solution is creating short term goals and worrying less about the long term. I've also learned I can't compare myself to others. There will always be someone better, faster, stronger, more attractive, intelligent, wealthier, etc.

I've got to focus on what makes me unique as a human. After all, I was put on this earth for a reason.

Today is the day I focus less on the bad and focus more on the good. It's not Thanksgiving quite yet, and it's okay because I don't need the calories. ;)

No comments: