Saturday, August 23, 2008

Friday Night Recap: The blood drips and the marriage stories begin!

Friday was pretty fun. My original plans of a girly dinner with Caroline, Teresa and Danny fell through. Not to fret, we'll have a makeup one with all of the sushi and boba goodness in the near future.

It actually gave me time for a breather, which was nice. At night I went to go pick up Howard, who just recently moved up from LA to go to grad school at SJSU. We headed up to SF to go to the Castro and then eventually Dragon. Our Castro pit stop was Lookout, which has its friday 'Activate!' theme. The music was pretty good and the eye candy was okay.

One of the weird moments was when a guy was taking a picture with one of the go go dancers and they both fell over on a table, crushing a Martini class. The dancer proceeded to say 'I think I'm bleeding!' but was a trooper and finished his photo session. Turns out he was bleeding, with blood dripping down to his calf. We later saw the dancer all bandaged up, ready to start working it again. That's dedication!

Turns out the guy who fell with the dancer was a friend of my co-worker Qing. Qing was celebrating his 39th(!) birthday with fun party hats and all. He seriously looks younger than I do. It was funny he was like 'Oh Howard, you look so young. How old are you?' (Howard's 25 years old) He turned to me and said 'Hey, you look young to... what are you 29?' 29!?! Shiet. Do I really look that old? Not that 29 is really old. I'm not even 25 yet. *le sigh*

One of the bartender guys was nearby and proceeded to give us a free neon blue test tube shot in celebration of Qing's recent marriage to his long term partner of 10 years on 8.8.08. He emphasized, 'Yes, we've been together forever, but we had a breakup of 3 years, too.' He also showed me his ring. They got married on a lookout in Marin County, had a reception in Chinatown, and then wore their suits to Dragon. Yes... classy/trashy fun times. He also was reminiscing about Club Asia, which was located at the old universe in the mid to late 90's.

After Howard and I finished our drinks of choice (Howard - Kamakazie on the rocks / Me - Rum and Diet Coke) and listened to a couple more good songs, we left the 'stro and headed to Dragon in SoMa. We parked a couple of blocks away, which is far for LA people. Remember we drive around the corner to the Grocery Store. Luckily, I've been groomed in Nor Cal to get used to the weather and walking. :)

Howard was like, 'If there is a closer spot, you're giving me a piggy back ride!' There wasn't a closer spot. I lucked out. Howard was walking briskly because he had to pee (like a racehorse, i'm asuming). On the walk to Dragon, I ran into Jordan and scared him from behind. He's having his big bday celebration next weekend. I had to run up and catch up with Howard, though.

We got inside and Howard did his business. The dance floors were flipped, with the bottom floor playing hip hop. The first floor wasn't too crowded, so we checked upstairs where dance music was playing. It was packed. We danced, trying to make our way to the windows for ventilation, which Dragon sorely lacks. The music was good. After a while dancing up there, we made our way downstairs for some hip hop. It was interesting in that it was pretty much the same songs as upstairs, but the original versions rather than remixes.

Throughout the night I ran into a few friends which was nice. I even ran into Chris, who just got back from Beijing a few days ago.

Around 1:45 or so, we peaced out and made our way back down to the South Bay. Howard and I were trying not to yawn the whole time, but that didn't quite work out as planned. I dropped him off at SJSU, passing by the hoards of police that patrol Downtown SJ on any given weekend night.

No comments: