Thursday, August 14, 2008

Once A Diva, Always a Diva - Donna Summer Concert Highlights (Saratoga, CA)

When you hear the word 'Diva,' who do you think of? Patti Labelle, Diana Ross, Beyonce? Um, I would throw the ultimate Disco Diva right up there at the top! Of course, It's Donna Summer. She's had an amazing career, most notably in the 70's and 80's. She actually hasn't had an album of new material for close to two decades until Crayons was release earlier this year. She has had a sprinkling of new singles and the occasional recording for a movie soundtrack.

Her concert at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga, CA has been on my radar for a few months. I never purchased tickets because I didn't think I knew anyone who wanted to go. Remember, I'm a 24 year old. Donna was at her top before I was born! But you know what, two days ago I said screw that! How often do you get to see a diva perform new and old material? I plunked down the cash for a seat in the front section, seven rows from the stage. It's probably been the best location I've had at a concert. You know what, I don't regret it.

I got off work, grabbed dinner at then drove down 85 to Sarataga. It was my first time driving that far in Saratoga. The Mountain Winery is located a top a hill that overlooks the whole Silicon Valley. The views are pretty stunning, especially at night.Yesterday there was a bit of a noticeable haze hovering the city. But it was still beautiful! The venue itself is going under upgrades, but apparently new seats were just installed last week. All of the regulars were talking up the new seats. I walked around the facilities and found it quaint and cute. It kind of reminded me of a a sophisticated community theater type of feel because it's so intimate, yet classy.

The concert started around 7:30pm and it was only her. No openers, just Donna. Sadly, no cameras were allowed. They were hella strict about it too! I haven't been to a concert where they were like that. They were freakin' Nazi's about it. I saw several people get yelled at and threatened by staff. I did manage to snap a few poor quality pictures on my camera phone, though. If you want good pictures from Donna's 'Stamp Your Feet World Tour,' I suggest you head on over to see Dulcito's album on Flickr from her show in Richmond, B.C. Apparently Donna decided to play after I already left Vancouver (right across from Richmond, B.C.) after Pride. Darn. Haha.

Anywho, her set list was fairly 50/50 with new material from Crayons and classic material. I personally was fairly happy with it, but I definitely would have loved a longer show. Here was the set list:

[Intro: Electronic Beethoven's Fifth / Changing of the Guards.]
The Queen is Back (from the album Crayons)
I Feel Love
Dim all the Lights
I'm a Fire (from the album Crayons)

Sand on my Feet (from the album Crayons)
On the Radio
Mr. Music (from the album Crayons)
Crayons (from the album Crayons)

--- approx 15-20 minute intermission ---

No More Tears (Enough is Enough)
MacArthur Park
Bring Down the Reign (from the album Crayons)
Stamp Your Feet (from the album Crayons)
Slide Over Backwards (from the album Crayons)
Selah [wardrobe change - backup singer Mary Ellen Bernard]

She Works Hard for the Money
Bad Girls
Hot Stuff
Last Dance [Encore]

I personally would have love to have heard the following songs too:
  • I will go with you (Con Te Partiro)
  • Heaven Knows
  • Could it be magic?
  • Sunset People
  • This time I know it's for real
  • Power of love
The demographics of the concert were pretty spot on to what I expected... my parents generation (straight 50's and 60's) and the gays who lived through the 90's disco revival (late 30's and 40's). I felt like I totally didn't fit in the crowd, but whatever. I felt like the crowd was mostly comprised of well-to-do Silicon Valley locals who could afford the tickets. They were the second priciest for this season's Mountain Winery concert series. You didn't see too many minorities, although there were some. I was surprised at how many few gays there were. I thought there would be more, not to say there weren't any. A few people dressed up in 80's gear. There were also some cute couples near the front of the stage that slow danced to songs like 'Last Dance.'

Overall, I thought Donna's voice was surprisingly strong, except for the first song 'The Queen is Back.' The sista can sing! She was also very playful throughout the concert. She had several jokes... one that I remember in particular was 'You know, I was voted the nicest Diva. I'd beat you up and give you a cotton ball after.'

The set was also very good considering how small the venue was. The set consisted of a 3 panel L.E.D. system flashing images in relation to the topic of the song. For example, flames for 'I'm a fire.'

Her wardrobes were quite good too. I think she changed about 4 to 5 times.

Her backup dancers were really fun! There were 3 guys: two black and one white. They totally pumped up the crowd and helped set the mood. They also helped bring a sense of youthfulness, to the otherwise post-Vh1 feel of the crowd.

She's got one more show in California at the Paramount Theater in Oakland. I'd imagine all the gays will be showing up to that one...

Bonus Material: Video Opener to the Ottowa Show

1 comment:

Dr. Kim said...

We were at her show the night before! I'm old enough to be... never mind, but it was great to see someone for the first time that I loved in college! She does sound great and I was loving the three male dancers!! Did you see the white guy's junk when he was weating the white football pants? He had to have been stuffing...or fluffing!! Was the topic of conversation of a whole group of 30-40 something gay guys as they were leaving.

The venue was fantastic and we were about ninth row back. Would go back to the Mountain Winery in a heartbeat now that it's been renovated.