Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Looking back at 25, Looking ahead at 26

So I've been thinking about turning 26 for the past few days but tried not to spend too much time dwelling on it. I think I'm relatively positive about turning a year older. Yes, it's over the 'hump,' one year closer to 30, and my next quarter-century of life. Does that mean I'm over a quarter-life crisis? Meeebbbeee.

25 is a pretty cool age. It was one of the first years I've felt like a true adult. I'd been living on my own, post-college, for a few years, and had been in my career life for 6 or so years.

Looking back at 25
  • It was the first time I was surprised on my birthday. In a work conference room at dinner, no less. Thanks Ty, Nai, and the rest of you who were in on it.
  • I traveled to NYC with Ty and Paul and learned a lot from them in the process.
  • I switched jobs at work, moving from Google in Mountain View to YouTube in San Bruno. I had to get used to working in a small office with the size of a team I could count on one hand. I also was part of a product launch team.
  • I moved to San Francisco (with the moving help of Nai), after kicking and screaming about doing so for years. It was a good move, but there are elements of the Silicon Valley that I miss.
  • I bought my first Mac. It was a 15" MacBook Pro, in case you were wondering. After years of being a PC guy, I decided to make the switch. I'm relatively happy with it.
  • I worked at MacWorld, representing Google's Picasa for Mac.
  • I got rejected from a love interest, who later became one of my best friends. I couldn't ask for a better Bestie.
  • I kept 120 lbs off, for the 2nd year in a row.
  • I fought hard at opposing Prop 8 passing in California. I traveled to many demonstrations in the Bay Area and Sacramento to protest.
  • I saw Madonna for the first time in concert. Just my fate to get a flat tire on the way there. I'm thankful for BART.
  • I saw New Kids on the Block in concert. It was my favorite concert last year.
  • I donated 8 bags of my fat clothes to good will.
  • It was the first year I participated in SF's Dine About Town (Universal Cafe, Choquets, Ruth's Chris).
  • I went to Folsom Street Fair for the first time with my besties from UC Riverside.
  • I went with Ty to spontaneously get his ear pierced.
  • I traveled for the first time outside North America. I went to Europe (London, Rome, Venice, Berlin, Paris).
  • It was the first time I held dinner parties at my apartment.
  • I volunteered at Edna Brewer Middle School to help restore a mural.
  • I participated for the 3rd year in Google's SF Pride contingent and getting a page on SFist.com.
  • I met the B-52's Fred Schneider at the Mix during Pride Weekend. I had the balls to go up to him. We hung out for a little bit.
  • I was a mentor for Google's BOLD (Building Opportunity Through Leadership) Internship Program.
  • It was the first year I started to take photography as a hobby seriously.
  • It was the first year I invested in the stock market. I've learned a lot.
  • I learned that I had a passion for running outside. I've been running on the Embarcadero ever since.
  • Living in SF had a positive impact on my dating life. I dated a few people, all of whom I could see with myself long term in one way or another.
Of course this list isn't comprehensive.

Looking Ahead at 26

I'm a pretty excited for what's ahead. I have a lot of goals and unanswered questions.
  • Where will I travel next?
  • What's the next step in my career?
  • Will I continue my formal education?
  • Which passions will I foster?
  • Which passions did I not know I have?
  • Who will I make an impact on?
  • Who will make an impact on me?
  • Will I be in a Long Term Relationship?
Only time will tell. The mystery is what's intriguing...

No comments: