Thursday, July 31, 2008

New Work Laptop

Earlier this week, I made a quick decision to get a new work laptop. My trusty, stable and mostly reliable Thinkpad T43p had run its course.

First I had to decide... Mac or PC. For all practical purposes, it doesn't make sense to get a Mac because of several known incompatibility issues with software I use. Plus, I'm planning on getting a Mac in the near future and it would be nice to have a work/home mental differentiation in computing.

From there, I had to decide portability or desktop replacement laptop. I opted for portable... the Thinkpad x61. My initial hesitation with the x61 was:
  • It has a pretty small screen at 12 inches
  • It lacks a CD/DVD drive
  • There isn't a trackpad, only the 'nub'
After using it for 2 days, I'm super happy. The screen is a nice size and I mainly use it with an external monitor connected to a docking station. The lack of a DVD/CD drive isn't too pad because I never really use it anyways. Although, on the plus side, the docking station does have a drive. Lastly, I'm totally used to the 'nub' as a mousing device already. It's actually quite refreshing!

SCORE!

No comments: