Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Getting back into routines; Developing Interests

Sometimes I feel like I've lost my most passionate routines. I'm not really sure what's gone on the past 7 or so months in 2008.

I personally and professionally haven't accomplished very much (relative to 2007). It's like the feeling you have when you get a paycheck, spend it, and have nothing to show for it. Being that it's half way through 2008, it's a bit disturbing.

I think my daily and weekly routines changed when I left for Ann Arbor back in Q4 of 2007. (Which by the way, was an amazing experience)

In Ann Arbor my daily weekday routine was:
  • Waking up at 8 am or so, if I didn't have a Personal Training session with Jimmy... otherwise It would be closer to 6:30am. I would leave with Kevin, my roomie, to go to work between 8:40am and 9am.
  • Get to work, make breakfast, chat with Brit and John for a bit, then tackle my email inbox.
  • My day was usually scattered with scheduled and impromptu meetings.
  • Lunch was usually around noon. Brit and I would usually make our usual salads and either have a desk lunch or take out some time to have lunch with each other or Ann Arbor folk.
  • I'd usually ping Kevin to ask when he'd be ready to leave work... usually around 6pm or so. If he had plans, I'd usually stay a bit later or run errands.
  • If it was a 'work out day,' I'd head over to Gold's Gym off of Ann Arbor-Saline Rd.
  • I'd stay for about an hour, doing cardio and some machine/weights. I'd occasionally run into co-workers or familiar faces at the gym. If I was up for it, I'd end my workout in the Sauna and occasionally chat with someone new. It might be a professor at U of M or a local.
  • After a workout, I'd decide whether or not to make dinner (if I had something) or grab something nearby. Working in a regional office was a bit different because Google usually doesn't serve dinner.
  • I'd end my weekday evening watching TV with Kev, read a magazine or catch up on personal email. I watched less TV because I didn't have a DVR.
  • I usually liked to fall asleep watching local news because it was something different and I got to learn about Michigan.
On A Weekly or Semi-Weekly Basis in Ann Arbor:
  • I'd explore Downtown Ann Arbor or a different part of Michigan.
  • I'd try a new restaurant or frequent a regular favorite.
  • I'd go on a weekend trip (Chicago, Toronto, DC, etc.) or meet with friends in A2.
  • I'd go out clubbing to a new place.
  • I'd try to make a local Google(r) thrown event such as a pub crawl, activity or birthday party.
  • I'd make a shopping trip to Meijer, Trader Joes or Whole Foods. (I LOVED MEIJER!)
  • I'd watch Desperate Housewives with Kevin on Sundays.
  • I'd get to work late on Wednesday just so I could chat with the housekeeper Carol. She usually arrived at 9am on the spot. Chatting with her for 15 minutes made my week. She was an amazing woman!
  • I'd BLOG! (and edit photos)
  • I'd clean up, even though I had a housekeeper.
Now my daily routine in the Bay Area is sorta out of whack. I haven't worked out as regularly with Nai as I once did. I'm letting my DVR fill-up. I'm leaving magazines un-read. I'm not uploading photos nearly as much. I'm not blogging.

What I can say is that I'm trying to get back on focusing on myself again (my original 2008 manta). I want to develop some sort of interests and extra-curricular activities.

Thoughts on current and new interests:
  • I'm gonna start limiting clubbing to once a month or special occasions. (birthdays, etc.) Once I got back to the Bay Area, clubbing was pretty much the only consistent thing I did on a weekend --- at least one day a week. It wasn't uncommon for me to be in SF 3 days in a row (Fri-Sun). The good things is that I meant new friends and acquaintances this way. It was also how I figured I'd meet guys for dates.
  • I want to start reading... books. Whether they be self-help, fiction, non-fiction, etc. I bought a bunch of books on Amazon last month. I got through a couple, but I want to read more... and consistently.
  • I want to explore the outdoors a bit more. Whether it be hiking, biking, running, etc. I have started to run outside on occasion and went on a hike last weekend.
  • Attend more things 'arts related.' Whether it be dance, theater, concerts, etc. I bought some concert tickets and have been to a few dance performances recently.
  • Want to spend time with friends I really care about. Playing 'Cranium' with Nai and Audrey last weekend reminded me how doing simple things, with those you love and care about, is more gratifying than looking at eye-candy at a club in SF.
  • Take up a sport. I really think Tennis is high up on my list. Also, after meeting with Shiun a few weeks ago, he reminded me how team sports, like Softball, help you build another base of close friends.
  • I want to start watching movies again. This is where I get to experience things outside my comfort zone and have my eyes opened to new experiences. Being from LA, I used to watch movies all the time. I have a ton of un-opened movies and TV DVDs waiting to be watched!
  • Get out and learn how to use my camera... and how to edit photos properly. I've been really good about bringing my DSLR out on excursions, but the more I do it, the better practice I'll get!
  • Continue to work out... regularly.
  • Start volunteering. I'm a mentor at work... but I want to do more. Volunteering at Alemany Farms through Google Serve opened my eyes on how much out there you can do for others.
  • Travel! Explore! Taking a nice hiking excursion with Peter in Saratoga last weekend reminded me how much of the Bay Area I have yet to experience. Weekend trips in the Bay are a must!
It's a start... now I must execute!

No comments: