Saturday, May 03, 2008

Shabuway in Mountain View, CA

After work last night, Nai and I went to go get dinner at Shabuway off Castro St. in Downtown Mountain View.

It was one of the few places with a wait on Friday night, but I've heard good things. We couldn't really figure out what we wanted to eat... but Nai has been before and liked it. I haven't done 'Shabu Shabu' in ages, so it was fun to do again.

There were two massive groups waiting in the front of the restaurant -- one with 7 people and one with 9 people. Considering the place holds maybe 20 people, I was concerned we weren't gonna eat for a while. Alas, we were seated in about 5 minutes at the counter with no problems.

The restaurant is a mix of modern and classic. The menu and food are very streamlined... a la In-N-Out. You have meat and veggies, drinks, and a few other dishes.

Nai and I both got the large meat/veggies plate for $15 and some change. The only real choice you have is whether or not you want lean beef or not. Apparently the lean beef is pretty much no fat. We both opted for the full flavor version.

Shabu Shabu is very much an experience. If you handed me raw meat and veggies and said 'go boil it yourself, bitch!' i'd probably slap you. But it's fun and makes for an enjoyable dinner experience because it gives you time to talk with your dinner company.

When you walk into the place, you can see the 'Kobe-style' beef being sliced by chefs on your right hand side. Shabuway only has beef as an option, so no modern variations like chicken or seafood for your boiling pot of water. Additionally, the water comes only in a normal version... so those who like spicy need not apply.

The food was good, but as soon as I got home, I felt really heavy. I mean, I ate a ton of meat and a smaller amount of veggies. I also had some Oolong tea. But I literally passed out because I felt like a ton of bricks.

Overall, a good experience and probably a really good date place. Not good for big groups.



On Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/shabuway-mountain-view

No comments: