Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Giving hard feedback

One of the aspects I love about my job is giving feedback. It's a useful skill to have, especially for future aspirations of becoming a people manager.

I'm enrolled in an Organizational Behavior class in which tonight's topic revolved around communication and performance appraisals.

I had the task of role-playing a really difficult scenario in front of 70 people in my class... including managers and peers.

Situation: I need to tell Nai (the recipient of the Feedback) that he has a body odor issue. Nai doesn't know what he's being called into my office for.

I was SOOOO traumatized because I didn't think on my feet nearly as quick as I should have. I kind of froze and ended up looking like a dork doing pretty much the opposite of everything I was taught in class. It's especially embarrasing because I give feedback for a living! Ugh!

No comments: