Thursday, May 08, 2008

Out to Eat 2008: Fundraiser for Project Outlet

I had the privilege of being invited to a Google sponsored table at this year's 'Out to Eat' event, a fundraiser for Project Outlet. My friend Ty is very involved with the organization and asked 10 Gayglers (Gay Googlers) or those that are Gay-friendly, to come to the event and represent Google at their table.

According to their website, Outlet's mission statement is:
Outlet supports and empowers lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning (LGBTQQ) youth ages 13 to 20 living on the Peninsula and South Bay. Through our range of support services, leadership training, community education and advocacy, Outlet successfully increases youth confidence, builds personal assets and creates healthier communities.
I would have LOVED to have an organization like this when I grew up in LA. I think the work they're doing for LGBTQQ youth is fantastic.

This year's MC's were Greg and Fernando, famous for their Energy 92.7 Morning Show. The event was held at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA. I haven't been in that building before, but I felt at home because it was a former SGI building (as are most current Google buildings).

The event consisted of a silent auction, dinner, presentations from LGBT youth and members of the organization, a live auction and dessert to end the evening.

The celebrity guest for the evening was Jennifer from this Season's Top Chef: Chicago. She was very generous to offer her time and 3 prize donations of 'Cooking at Home.' She's an Executive chef at San Francisco's COCO500. When I went up to her and asked to take a picture she immediately said 'Have we met before? You look familiar.' I actually get that a lot. So I get this weird dichotomy of 'you look so unqiue... what's your ethnic background?' and 'you look really familiar!' I find that pretty interesting...

I had a great time at the event. I brought along my friend Nai and he also had a good time. I bid and won an item at the silent auction. What is it you might ask? It's actually a 2 hour coaching experience from Jamie Moran 'focusing on increasing your knowledge, insight and skills in flirting and dating and connecting with others.' I thought it sounded interesting and useful. :)









For All Event Photos, visit my Web Album.

No comments: