Saturday, October 06, 2007

All is Well in A2

So I arrived in the state of Michigan on Monday afternoon. I made a pit stop in Salt Lake City, Utah, before I got into Michigan. That town looks lovely, too. I finally got to see what that lake actually looks like. Some of it looks like swamp land.

I picked up my rental car. They hooked me up with a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix. It's a fucking boat, but it's classy inside and drives well. My apartment is pretty swanky too. We even have weekly maid service, but I kinda find it annoying cause things get placed in awkward areas.

My roommate, Kevin, is from our Dublin, Ireland office. It's like getting to go on a free European Vacation, but without having to deal with the flight. We've bonded over trashy American and UK television. He's originally from Cork, so his accent is a bit thicker than a typical Irish one.

I also think I like working in a small(er) regional office. Although, it's hard to tell after only a week. It's like the difference between going to a small liberal arts school or going to some huge state school. Would you rather be noticed or don't really care because you're just a face in the crowd? It's nice interacting with the managers in this office too. They're all very approachable and down to earth. Also, the director, Grady is a wonderful guy. Very personable, down to earth, and genuinely friendly.

I'm so glad I'm getting to see more of America. I'm trying to remove this 'California is the only place in the universe that is livable' mentality from my head. I mean, I see myself living the vast majority of my life in California, but I also want to experience every place I can.

Part of me is still shocked I decided to leave for Ann Arbor, Michigan. But I know I made the right choice. I feel so much less stress. There is no pollution, no traffic, no road rage, and this overwhelming sense of friendliness in the Midwest. It's like if you're not friendly, you'll stand out like a deer in headlights.

But there is some observations from my first week here
:
  • There are no toilet seat covers anywhere. It's a bit weird.
  • People are surprisingly trusting. For example, my first floor apartment back door goes into open grass and the street. But I still feel safe.
  • Guys don't make an effort to dress here, probably because it's a college town.
  • The town is very liberal. Although the college kids seem to be into Ron Paul.
  • It's still okay to smoke in bars and restaurants here. Blah.

No comments: