Saturday, October 13, 2007

Midwest Obersvation #1: Marriage in your early 20's

Observation #1: People Like To Get Married

After living in the Midwest for a couple of weeks, I'm starting to notice some trends. Most of which, makes me feel like a fish out of water. Throwing an out gay guy in the Midwest is kinda daunting, but I'm doing well.

One thing I'm noticing is people are married in their early 20's. It's kind of shocking. I know 2 people married from high school. Two. I think there are like two people that aren't married or in serious long term relationships at the Google Ann Arbor office. So you often hear stuff like, 'I'm going to paint my house this weekend with my husband.' Rather than say, 'I'm going with my clubbing with my girlies.'

Even when you go out, you see people with their kids in their early 20's. I feel like as if this is because people either met their significant other in high school or in early college. Stayed together for 4 or so years and decided to get hitched.

I think people in California refuse to get married before 30. Even if you're in a long term relationship, I see people break up because they're commitment-phobic and would rather be single than married.

I don't see myself getting 'married' before 30. Possibly a long(er) term relationship.

No comments: