Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ann Arbor: Work , Live and Play

Where I Work

I currently work at Google's Ann Arbor, Michigan office. I've been here for about 3 weeks. I'm normally headquartered in Mountain View, CA, but I've taken on an assignment here to help with the growing office. I'll be here until the end of December. So if you're in town, swing by and say 'Hi'! I've already seen 5 or so people from Mountain View swing by. It seems to be a popular stop. ;)

I'm not missing too much that the headquarters offers (other than the AMAZING people). I do miss being at the *hub* of it all, but It's also great to be at a regional office. On occasion I think about eating lunch at 5ive or Pure Ingredients Cafe, but the catering there have here is top notch (and healthy!).

Ann Arbor has its own flavor. It's young, vibrant, and refreshing. The people are very friendly, down to earth, and approachable. If they haven't met you before, they'll introduce themselves right away. The receptionist, Kim, knows everyone by name. The weather has been okay so far, but talk to me in a few weeks when it gets cold. The leaves are just changing colors and It's very beautiful. The rumors are true. Most people are married or in a long term relationship. But that doesn't mean they don't like to play. They have so many clubs, events, and groups at the office. There is something to participate in virtually every night of the week, if you want.

I arrived with 2 other Mountain View expats, Brittany and John. Brittany specializes in Quality Control (as do I) and John is a master optimizer for client's advertising accounts. Both have a wealth of experience.


Me, Brittany & John

Where I Live

I live in the more suburban part of southern Ann Arbor. The great thing is that there are plenty of places to shop, eat, and relax. All of my favorites are nearby --- Whole Foods, Target, Panera Bread... just to name a few. I also live right next to the local mall, Briarwood. The mall isn't that great, but if you want the basics, it's cool. You have to venture off to Troy for more upscale stores at Somerset Collection. If you want something more upbeat, Downtown in only a short 8-10 minute drive. My office is located Downtown. So I can walk to loads of shops, bars, and restaurants. That's a nice change of pace.

I live with a fellow Googler, Kevin. He's from Google's Dublin office. He's originally from Cork, so don't call him a Dubliner. Haha. It's great to live someone from another country. You get to learn things from a different perspective, but at the same time, see how we're very similar. Our weekly thing is watching Depserate Housewives together on Sunday nights. I found another trashy TV lover! Yay! He's a very funny guy. He reminds me of my Mountain View Cubemate, Ziv.


Kevin & Will

Where I Play

It's been really nice living in the Midwest. Ann Arbor is a very liberal college town, so it's a nice place to live. I go out to bars, restaurants, parks and shops all the time. I even ventured out to a gay film festival put on by the Triangle Foundation & Reel Pride Michigan last week in Royal Oak, a swanky suburb north of Detroit. I went a few A2 gayglers and saw a movie called, 'The Bubble,' A modern take on Romeo and Juliet, but with two men in the Middle East.

Some of the Bars, Restaurants, Clubs, Attractions, etc. I've been to:
  • Bar Louie (Ann Arbor Bar)
  • Zanzibar (Ann Arbor Restaurant)
  • Arbor Brewing Company (Ann Arbor Bar)
  • Monterrey Cantina (Royal Oak Mexican Restaurant)
  • Pronto! (Royal Oak Gay Bar/Restaurant)
  • Necto - Friday Night 'Pride' (Ann Arbor Gay Club Night)
  • Royal Oak Main Art Theatre (Royal Oak)
  • University of Michigan, Football Stadium (Ann Arbor)
  • Cosi (Ann Arbor Sandwiches)
  • Borders #1 (Ann Arbor Bookstore)
  • The Chop House (Ann Arbor Steak House)
  • Leopold Bros. Brewery (Ann Arbor Bar)
  • Aut Bar (Ann Arbor Gay Bar / Brunch Place)
  • Kerrytown Shops (Ann Arbor Shopping)
  • Menjos (Detroit Gay Club)
  • Somerset Collection (Troy Shopping)
  • La Dolce Vita (Ann Arbor Dessert/Wine/Cigar Place)
  • Stucchi's (Ann Arbor Fro Yo / Ice Cream)
  • Briarwood Mall (Ann Arbor Shopping)
  • Whole Foods (Grocery Store Staple)
  • Potbelly's (Ann Arbor Sandwiches)
  • BD's Mongolian BBQ (Ann Arbor Restaurant)
I have a load of other places to check out. Woot!

No comments: