Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Ann Arbor Haircut Solution

I find getting a cheap haircut in the Bay Area is super simple. Go to Supercuts or some local barbershop and you're good to go. However, it's not that simple in Ann Arbor. No Supercuts within 40 miles... and everything is a 'salon' (aka 30 to 40 bucks for a cut). I'm usually used to like $15.

I asked Brian, a co-worker of mine, where he gets his haircut. He said, go to the Douglas J. Institute. It's the school for the Douglas J. Aveda Salon. So basically, someone who's training to work in a major salon will be cutting your hair. My stylist, Missy, started to train in January. So she's almost ready to graduate after being in school for 1 year.

It's the best $15 haircut I've ever gotten. It was all scissor cut, so no shavers. That makes for a more precise cut.

So this was my experience:
  • Made an appointment for 9pm (they do haircuts until 10pm)
  • Walked in and was asked if I wanted water, tea, etc.
  • I sit in anticipation, not knowing what to expect.
  • Missy comes and gets me and says she's be cutting my hair today.
  • She introduces me to her instructor, who'll be occasionally looking to she what kind of job she's doing. She'll also chime in with advice or take over if Missy needs help.
  • She asked me how I wanted my hair cut. I said 'finger length,' which is the perfect length for my wavy hair. She gets a couple of more specifics and her instructor approves it.
  • She starts talking to me and we make chit chat. She's from Michigan, but a town 45 minutes north of Ann Arbor.
  • She gives me a scalp massage with 'Energizing Oil,' one of about 6 I could choose from.
  • She then shampoos and conditions my hair.
  • She then starts the cut -- all scissors. It takes a while, but it's very precise.
  • The cut was finished after about 25 minutes. I approve the cut and the instructor approves the cut too.
  • I get my hair rinsed, so I get all the stray hairs away.
  • I then ask what type of product I want in my hair. I choose an Aveda matte finish paste. It smells wonderful.
  • My hair is styled and I walk downstairs to pay. I actually decided to get the paste too, because it smelled and looked good.
  • The haircut was $15 and the product was about $20. So with all of the fancy shmancy salon styling and some product, I walk away paying less than a typical A2 Salon Haircut.
  • Overall, I'm impressed! Such a great idea.
  • Conclusion: Go if you have the time and want a luxury experience on the cheap. The whole process was about an hour... so that was the only downside. I wasn't doing anything anyways, so it was a great way to spend a tuesday night. :)

No comments: