Thursday, August 02, 2007

Flying Virgin America

I'm flying back to Los Angeles next week for a little bit of a get together with some college friends.

I originally was going to drive, but I wanted to maximize my time this time around, in addition to minimize driving boredom. Additionally, my car is at 99K miles and a trip to LA would push me over the 100K mark very easily.

So I'm going to be one of the first people to use Virgin America airlines. The airline's first flight is scheduled for August 8th, 2007. My flight is on August 10th. Let's hope everything goes smoothly. By the time I wanted to book a flight, Southwest already had crazy prices. VA still had some good deals. I'll be doing the SFO to LAX route rather than the typical SJC to BUR.

What I like about VA:
  • They fly to the cities I care about: San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, New York City, Washington DC
  • Mood Lighting: Who doesn't want the interior of a plane to look like a club?
  • Sophisticated Entertainment Console: I think they really thought this one through. Built from scratch and based off Linux, this console is crazy cool. Loads of MP3's, Movies, Games, TV Stations, and even passenger to passenger IM. Want a drink? Order it via the console.
  • Tech Connectivity: Power, Ethernet and USB hookups at every chair!
  • Cheap(ish)!: On par or better with Jet Blue & Southwest for coach/economy. Very good pricing on First Class. One day, I might do an east coast first class trip. :)
  • Leather Seats with Headrests

No comments: