Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Personal Goals

I feel like 2007 was a year of a single goal of mine: Weight Loss. I've achieved that, but now I want to become well-rounded again. I feel like I've lost interest in my passions and don't have hobbies. I used to be on top of my game in entertainment, hollywood, politics, technology, etc. Now I feel like I don't keep track of any of them.

In the next couple of weeks, I will be setting my personal OKRs for 2008. An OKR is an Objective and Key Result. Basically, it's setting a benchmark and later evaluating how you held up against those benchmarks. It's often times used in the workplace, but can be used in life as well. People also refer to these personal goals as New Years Resolutions.

The key to these goals are making them metrics based. For example, a sample OKR could be:
Running and completing two 5K races.
What makes this an OKR is that (1) It has an action [running in a 5K] and (2) has a metric associated with it [2].

Then in 2009, you build upon your 2008 OKRs. So I could for example run a half marathon in 2009 to stretch my 2008 goal, etc.

What's important to remember is that you often times set goals that you can't necessarily achieve but can get darn near close. That way you stretch yourself.

Some of my personal OKRs will be silly but some will be super serious. I think i'll be adding to the 'list' frequently until 2008... but my mind has been running on overload with goals I want to achieve.

1 comment:

EP Solar said...

I couldn't think of what OKR stood for - thanks!

- Your old cubemate, Adam