Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Relation Between Racial Attraction & Weight Loss

There are so many topics I feel I can write about dealing with achieving a major weight loss. I probably should just make time to write a book about it.

One of the more intriguing and controversial has to deal with the gay racial hierarchy of perceived attractiveness. Whether we like to believe it or not, there is definitely a social hierarchy revolving around race in the gay community. Perceived physical attractiveness in the gay community has many factors --- one among them being race. Some might throw in masculinity, muscle build or height/weight ratio.

People can argue different points or opinions on the subject, but I'm going to present you what I feel is a pretty good correlation between my weight loss and the point in time a particular race found me attractive.

Here goes it:

~ 300 lbs --> Black Guys and Overweight guys found me attractive.
~ 250 lbs --> Latino Guys found me attractive
~ 200 lbs --> Asian Guys found me attractive
~ 175-180 lbs (Present) --> White Guys found me attractive.

This is not to say that Asian, Black or Latino guys now don't currently find me attractive, but it's at a certain point where there was clearly more interest from White guys.

Ty told me about a study he did in college about race and the gay community --- we both kind of agree about the underlying racial hierarchy in the gay community. There are obviously more races than those listed above. There are also subcategories of race... e.g. Vietnamese vs. Chinese that have some untold hierarchy in the gay community.

This observation was definitely more of an afterthought than something I noticed at the time it was happening. I find it intriguing and it's something I wouldn't mind doing more research on.

2 comments:

LMB said...

And THAT, my friend is why my chubby ass lives in Mexico! Hahaha

Empress KT said...

Fascinating. I wonder if it works in heterosexual relationships as well. I find that I am completely unattractive to almost everyone, other than Asian-collectors, unattractive black men, and lesbians. What does that mean???