Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Thank Heaven For Fuel Efficient Cars

In High School, my close friends Sherif, Jonathan and Angelo would make fun of me about valuing fuel efficiency in a car. This was back in 2001.

They posed the question: 'So, If you could have any car, what would you want?'

They all proceeded to mention cars like Lambo's or Aston Martin's.

My Answer?: I'd take multiple Civics over a luxury car like those aforementioned.

For me, my car gets me from A to B. I don't really care too much about power and speed as much as I do efficiency and comfort (specifically, technology). At the time gas was crazy cheap, getting as low as $.89 in Los Angeles. I'd imagine Federal and State taxes on gas when combined are higher than that now.

Flash forward 7 years later. My answer? It would still be the same. I still have my darling 2001 silver Honda Civic. With gas prices approaching $5.00, I'm still in that economic efficient mode.

I bet my friends aren't making fun of me now (at least for this reason). I just paid ~$49.00 for 11 gallons of gas. It boggles my mind.

Thankfully, my car is still fuel efficient, even with 108,000 miles. I just calculated that with my last tank on near empty, I got 402 miles out of 11 gallons of gas... or approximately 36 miles per gallon.

Thanks Honda. You Rule.

No comments: